Friday, February 3, 2023

January Books Read

 I read two books in January. Not many, I know, but two is definitely better than none. 


The School for Good MothersThe School for Good Mothers by Jessamine Chan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a depressing book. It was good, in its own right, but it's definitely not something you should pick up if you're wanting to connect with the bright side of motherhood. The plot is basically that the social services system has been revamped and instead of having to do a couple hour class to get your kids back if CPS is involved (or whatever, I honestly don't know much about CPS cases), parents are forced to go to "school" for a year to learn to be a good mother or father. The book explores the differences between how men and women are treated when they become parents. It's definitely interesting, but at this point in my life, it was a struggle for me to finish it because it was so sad and hopeless for the main character.

View all my reviews


Two More YearsTwo More Years by E.C. Stilson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I stumbled upon EC Stilson on Facebook. I think a local-to-Idaho news station did a news bit on her, and I saw that. Or maybe it was just that I was scrolling Facebook and somehow her page popped up. I honestly can't remember. But she's a very hopeful person, experiencing a terrible diagnosis of stage 4 melanoma where the doctors actually tell her she has just two years to live. In this memoir, we get to see how she chooses to LIVE instead of die before she's actually dead.

I'll be honest here, I was a little caught off guard by the ending. I felt it ended pretty abruptly, but that might be because I want to know more, even though the story hasn't ended yet. I look forward to reading more of what she writes.

If you're not a fan of hers on Facebook, you should be! She shares lots of hopeful and interesting stories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a given

 I've been thinking a lot lately. [No, there's no smell of smoke here...] People today complain about a lot of things. Some things, ...